Jaguar SS100 was unveiled to the world in 1935. It was the first open-top sports car that carried the Jaguar name. After the SS Cars Ltd had named its new saloon car Jaguar, all the cars got the Jaguar name after that. In 1940’s the SS Cars Ltd changed also its company name to Jaguar. The two-seater Jaguar SS100 was powered by a 2.5-litre straight-six engine.
The engine was based on a Standard Motor Company unit. It was greatly improved by consultant engineer Harry Weslake, who converted it from side to overhead valve operation. The engine produced 100 horsepower, which provided sporty performance for the Jaguar SS100’s lightweight body. The car’s wheelbase was 8 feet and 8 inches (2,6 meters) and the overall length was 12 feet 9 inches (3,9 meters). The car was fitted with a four-speed gearbox and Girling brakes.
In 1938 the Jaguar SS100 was offered with a 3.5-litre straight-six engine. With the bigger and more powerful engine the SS100 had the performance to match its looks. Producing 125 horsepower, the 3.5-litre SS100 had a top speed of 100mph, while sprint from 0-60mph took about 10 seconds. In the 1938 British Motor Show a coupe version of the SS100 was revealed. Unfortunately due to the outbreak of the war, the show car was the only one ever built.
The production of the Jaguar SS100 ended in 1941.