The Alpine A106 was the brainchild of a motoring enthusiast, Jean Rédelé. Rédelé was quite succesful racing driver, but his dream was to design a small French sports model using production parts. Rédéle bought a Renault 4CV in 1952 to compete in rally. However, the car was heavy and not sufficiently aerodynamic. After a few inconclusive attempts, Rédelé teamed up with the Chappe brothers, coachbuilders in Saint-Maur outside Paris. The brothers were already experts in plastic technologies. In 1955 their partnership produced the Alpine A106, an attractive car with a polyester body built on a 4CV platform.