The Camaro Hot Wheels concept is inspired by the “Custom Camaro” – the dazzling Spectraflame 1:64-scale toy that was part of the original 16 Hot Wheels cars released in 1968. The project was a collaborative effort between the General Motors Design studio in Michigan and the Hot Wheels Design studio in California. Each sketched its own ideas of a life-size Hot Wheels Camaro, compared notes and refined their visions until the concept hit the right note for each group of designers.
The synergistic project created a car that is instantly identifiable as a Camaro with styling cues – including flat-black graphics, red-line wheels and, of course, the dazzling metallic-green finish – that are classic Hot Wheels. The original Hot Wheels cars debuted with their metallic Spectraflame paint finishes, and the Camaro Hot Wheels Concept features a brilliant, chrome-style finish created in a similar manner: a tinted top coat over a shiny base. In the case of the original Hot Wheels lineup, the process involved polishing the die-cast metal vehicle bodies and applying a metallic lacquer to them. With the Camaro Hot Wheels Concept, the process was decidedly more complicated.
The reflective finish was created using Gold Touch Inc.’s Cosmichrome product, starting with the application of a primer coat on an immaculately prepared surface. The primer coat was then sprayed with a liquid-metal solution to create the mirror-smooth, silver-chrome base coat. Afterward, the green tint was applied in several layers until the just-right color effect was achieved.
- Over Chrome Green paint with ghosted Hot Wheels logo on the quarter panels
- Satin black ground effects (splitter, rocker and rear fascia-side extensions)
- Satin black wheels with milled face and Torch Red stripe: 20×10-inch (front) and 20×11-inch (rear)
- ZL1 grille with Hot Wheels badging
- Hot Wheels badge on the decklid
- Euro-style taillamps with new inner smoked lens
- Euro-style rear fascia with new diffuser and exhaust bezels
- ZL1 rear spoiler
- Chevrolet Accessories Modified Satin Black Stripe
- Black aluminum “CAMARO” fender badges with milled face
- Black aluminum hood insert with milled hood vent extractors
- Chevrolet Accessories Synergy Series gill decals
- Black leather-wrapped IP and door inserts with Torch Red accents, and cut-and-sew flames
- Hot Wheels sill plates
- Hot Wheels cut-and-sew embroidered logos in the front seatbacks
- Chevrolet Accessories pedal kit
- Chevrolet Accessories footwell and cup holder lighting (red)
- Brembo brakes: six-piston front with two-piece rotors and four-piston calipers (Chevrolet Official Licensed Product)
- Suspension lowering kit by Pedders (Chevrolet Official Licensed Product)
- Chevrolet Accessories strut tower brace
- Chevrolet Accessories black engine cover
- Chevrolet Accessories exhaust system
Under the hood is the all-aluminum 6.2L LS3 V-8 backed by the Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transmission.