Powered by the 6.4-liter HEMI V8 engine that offers 470 horsepower (351 kW) and 470 lb.-ft. (637 Nm) of torque across a wide rpm range, performance numbers for the 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 include 0-60 mph acceleration in the high 4-second range, quarter mile in the high 12-second range, 0-100-0 mph in less than 16 seconds, top speed of 175 mph and stopping power from 60-0 mph in 120 feet.
Even with the high horsepower and torque numbers, up to 23 mpg on the highway is achieved by the use of an active valve exhaust system that allows the standard Fuel Saver Technology (four-cylinder mode) to engage over a wide rpm range for efficient motoring or the use of all eight cylinders when the extra power is needed. The active valve exhaust system also allows for straight through mid and rear mufflers for a throaty exhaust note under engine load. The 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 features an active intake manifold and high-lift camshaft with cam phasing to provide maximum low-end torque for strong standing starts while optimizing high-end power.
The proven five-speed automatic transmission uses standard steering wheel mounted paddle shifters or the center console mounted Auto Stick, allowing for a choice of spirited shifting on both the road and the racetrack. Both methods give the driver the ability to manually select specific gears on the transmission. New for 2013 is an improved adaptive damping suspension (ADS) system that is expanded to three modes and tuned specifically for the Dodge Charger SRT8 to provide an everyday performance ride or a much firmer race track capable damping for more challenging driving situations. Also new for 2013, the standard launch control system helps maximize straight-line acceleration.
On the inside, the full-color graphic Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) with exclusive Performance Pages includes timers for 0-60 mph, one-eighth mile and quarter-mile times, 60-0 braking distance, along with lateral and longitudinal G-forces within the touchscreen display. The instrument panel’s 8.4-inch color touchscreen display also has all the same Performance Pages data as the EVIC, and is further expanded to include steering angle, horsepower and torque outputs along with engine gauges. The display is customizable to a driver selectable background.
Designed to offer a modern interpretation of the classic muscle-car styling cues of the Charger SRT8, the optional 392 Appearance Package adds an extra dose of menacing appearance for iconic four-door fastback coupe, with the following new appointments:
- Custom-designed gloss black “392 HEMI” fender badges with a charcoal grey metallic insert
- Center section of power bulge hood painted in Pitch Black
- Roof painted in Pitch Black
- New satin black SRT lower-body side stripe with heavy band and accent tracer stretching from front fascia, through doors to rear fascias
- Side mirrors painted in Pitch Black
- 20-inch, split five-spoke Black Vapor Chrome wheels
- Rear spoiler painted in Pitch Black
- Availability of five exterior colors: Bright White Clear Coat, Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat, Plum Crazy Pearl Coat, HEMI Orange Pearl Coat and TorRed Clear Coat
- “392” engine beauty covers under the hood
- Exclusive serialized dash placque showing production build number / 392
In the US markets the 392 Appearance Package option will cost $2,495, and customers can begin ordering in April.