The Alpine A110 Berlinette was unveiled at the 1962 Paris Motor Show. The car had been developed from the Alpine A108, but was more stylish and more dynamic, with an even lower engine cover, a larger glazed area and the rear lights from the Renault 8.
The Alpine A106 was the brainchild of a motoring enthusiast, Jean Rédelé. Rédelé was quite succesful racing driver, but his dream was to design a small French sports model using production parts. Rédéle bought a Renault 4CV in 1952 to compete in rally. However, the car was heavy and not sufficiently aerodynamic. After a few inconclusive attempts, Rédelé teamed up with the Chappe brothers, coachbuilders in Saint-Maur outside Paris. The brothers were already experts in plastic technologies. In 1955 their partnership produced the Alpine A106, an attractive car with a polyester body built on a 4CV platform.
The Alpine A110 was unveiled at the Paris Motor Show in 1962. The new vehicle featured the steel backbone frame, glass-fiber polyester bodywork and offset rear-mounted engine. It also used parts from Renault production models, particularly the R8. It was thus a powerful and efficient model, featuring all the improvements made to Alpine models over the years. The Alpine A110 did, however, feature one innovation: the 4-cylinder Renault engine with five bearings. To make room for it, the rear end of the vehicle had to be made bigger. This gave the A110 an “aggressive” style that remained its hallmark.