BMW 328 Mille Miglia Roadster was a racing car, that was designed to be raced at the 1st Gran Premio Brescia delle Mille Miglia in 1940. As with the BMW 328 Coupe, this aerodynamically highly advanced and extremely lightweight body consisted of a spaceframe with aluminium outer skin. The car weighted 700kg and with the […]
BMW 328 Berlin-Rome Touring Roadster had a 1971cc, six-cylinder in-line engine. The engine produced 120 horsepower at 5500rpm. The car had four-speed manual gearbox and Alfin drum brakes. The weight of the car was 700kg and it could reach a top speed of 200km/h.
In 1938 BMW’s rivals had achieved good results in using lightweight, streamlined bodies in small-engined cars in races in the Le Mans and Mille Miglia. Open-top cars had been shown to be less aerodynamically efficient than hardtops, and BMW wasn’t about to argue. In 1938 the decision was taken to build a hardtop racing saloon based on the BMW 328 Roadster.
The BMW 328 was the most successful sports car of the 1930’s racing scene. At the time when powerful supercharged “Kompressor” machines ruled the racing roost, the BMW 328 Roadster – weighing just 780 kilograms and developing a modest 80 horsepower in series production form – was a genuine sensation. The success of the BMW 328 lay in the sum of its parts: rigorously applied lightweight design, ideal weight distribution, aerodynamic lines, the perfect engine and a meticulously tuned chassis delivering flawless roadholding. All of which allowed it to underpin a fresh understanding of what a car could be, one which saw the engine’s output teaming up with the optimum interplay of all the car’s component parts – and complemented by maximum efficiency – to achieve success. These qualities enabled the BMW 328 to embody the values that still underpin the BMW brand today: dynamics, aesthetic appeal and a high degree of innovation.
Although the BMW 328 was developed on the basis of the BMW 319/1, the car differed significantly in both its exterior appearance and under the skin. The lack of resources for an all-new design meant that the BMW 328 had to do with a modified version of the 50 hp engine from the BMW 326. The 2-litre grey cast iron block was given a new cylinder head (made from an aluminium alloy) with valves arranged in a “V”. Valves were controlled by the side-mounted camshaft using bell cranks on the exhaust side and transverse pushrods. This impressively effective upgrade increased output to 80 hp at 4500 revs per minute.